Citadel of Briteiros
The Briteiros Citdel is an archaeological site of the Iron Age located in the locality of Salvador de Briteiros, in Guimarães. Its ruins were discovered in 1875 by archaeologist Martins Sarmento.
It presents the characteristics present in the northwest fort culture of the Iberian Peninsula: a high place with celtic cultural traits and walled. Was kept occupied during the time of the Roman invasions and believed it should have been completely abandoned in the second century.
The influence of romanization in this town in the first century aC, is evidenced in numerous vestiges, such as latin inscriptions, coins of the republic and the empire, fragments of pottery imported (land sigillata), glass, and others.
Is classified as a National Monument since 1910.